Brief History of Logan Twp.
Go to Early Settlers ***** Go to Auglaize History Page
This territory was on the route of many branches of the army during the War of 1812. In 1813 Fort Amanda was built on the Auglaize nearly apposite the Ottawa towns, by Col. Pogue, by the orders of General Harrison. It became something of a storehouse during the preparations preceding the concentration against Canada. It was named by the regiment Fort Amanda in honor of the wife of Colonel Pogue.
Prior to the organization of Auglaize County, the land in this township formed a part of Amanda and Moulton townships, Allen Co. Logan Twp. embraces 27 square miles and contains what was known as the "Logan Section," which was a grant of 640 acres by the government to the Indian Captain Logan, for his fidelity and brilliant services to the American cause. The organization of Logan Twp. took place in 1848 and it was named in honor of the same noble Indian, Captain Logan.
The first white settlements made within Logan Twp. were along the Auglaize River. Andrew Russel located on the Ft. Amanda farm about 1823. Here with his family, consisting of his wife, four daughters, and one son, he lived some time with Indian associates alone. In 1825 William Berryman and his wife and 12 children settled nearby. These settlers as well as many later families were compelled to go to Piqua to mill, as the old Mission Mill at Wapakoneta was at that time of little use. They also traveled to Piqua to fetch a physician when needed, and one such visit cost the Berryman family $37.50, while a visit to a neighbor on the same trip cost $10.
The first post office was at Ft. Amanda, Samuel Washburn being appointed postmaster. At that time the mail was carried on horseback between Piqua and Defiance. One interesting story is related regarding the Washburn postoffice: Mrs. Washburn invited Miss Eliza Berryman to stay with her during the absence of her husband, the postmaster. Mr. Washburn was in the habit of selling whiskey to the Indians, and soon after he left home three of these Indians rode up and demanded "fire water." Mrs. Washburn refused and barred the door against them. They prowled about the house all day. In the evening the mail carrier, Mr. Treece, the first agent on this mail line, arrived and ordered the Indians away. When one of them offered resistance, Mr. Treece cracked his loaded whip against the Indian, which knocked him down and he was soundly scored with the lash. His two companions fled with the three ponies, and the injured Indian ran off and swam the river to escape.
At that time game of all kinds abounded. The hunter had no inducement to waste ammunition with small game. Russel Berryman related that he once approached a deer crossing and shot seven deer on one spot before breakfast time. The river abounded with fish of many kinds, and at certain seasons sturgeon of enormous size would come up from the lakes. Thomas Berryman once saw a floundering sturgeon in the ripple, pounced upon it with his hands, and struggled with it toward shore. At last Berryman landed his catch which proved to be 8' long!
As late as 1855, the roads in the township were few and very poor. The old Defiance road was the first, and the balance were all "hoop pole" roads. New ones were located all over the township by 1880. Several wooden bridges were constructed over the river between 1855 and 1880, and were being replaced by iron bridges in 1880. The advent of the Erie and Western Railroad line through the township created a station at Buckland, which created the growth of the village. In 1880 it housed 20 homes, a general store, grocery, drug store, one physician, W. R. Sharp., M.D., a blacksmith shop, carriage shop, shoe shop, saw-mill, warehouse and a telegraph and post office.
The pioneer church was erected upon the farm of N. A. Murdock, by the "Christians." The 2nd church was the Christian Union church in Buckland, while the 3rd was located in the north part of the township and owned by the United Brethren congregation. There was also a church in the northwest used by the German Methodists, and was the only one with a bell. In 1880 there were six school districts in Logan Twp, all represented with a modern frame school building.
Early Settlers of Logan Twp.
The following list is of the first settlers in Logan Township. Other lists will soon be online listing first settlers for each township. For the time being, we will limit the inclusion of settlers up until about the year 1850. Once we have finished this task, we may extend the time-span. If your ancestor doesn't appear here, check the county and other township lists. If you have information about the settlement of your ancestor, please submit it for inclusion on these lists. Your submission must include reference to a source document (i.e. deed, Bible record, legal document).
Key to Source Abbreviations:
ATL80 = 1880 Atlas of Auglaize County, compiled by H.G. Howland, published 1880 by Robert Sutton
AUH = History of Auglaize County
C = Census
D = Deed Volume/Page Number
|Adams, Charles||Logan||ATL80, p. 37||Justice of the Peace|
|Baker, Jacob||Logan||Bef. 1848||ATL80, p. 36||Farm had been Whitefeather Indian Camp, sons: William A., L.C., T. R., & David, 1st Twp. Trustee, J.P.|
|Barr, S.||Logan||Aft. 1848||ATL80, p. 37|
|Berryman, William||Logan||1825||ATL80, p. 36||2nd Settler, wife, 12 children, dau. Mrs. Eliza Noble|
|Bigelow, David||Logan||Aft. 1848||ATL80, p. 37||Justice of the Peace|
|Blackburn, G.||Logan||Aft. 1848||ATL80, p. 37|
|Bodkins||Logan||Aft. 1848||ATL80, p. 37|
|Bowsher, Francis M.||Ross Co., OH||Logan||1859||ATL80, p. 37||b. 15 Dec 1830, md. Elizabeth Straus on 13 Feb 1859, d. 13 Jan 1875, 8 ch, md. 2nd Mrs. Sarah J. Roberts 06 Feb 1877. Ch: John A., Mary J. (md. Marion Edman), Thomas E., Amos G., Angeline G., Charles F., Harry D., Columbus.|
|Bowsher, Madison J.||Ross & Allen Co., OH||Logan||1862||ATL80, p. 37||b. 1827, md. Maria Luckhart in 1847, 6 ch: John G., Catharine M., Nelson L., Jacob F., Sarah A., Albert G., 4 dec.: Mary J., Rachel R., Amos L., Franklin H.|
|Butcher, J. S.||Justice of the Peace|
|Crozier, James||Logan||Bef. 1848||ATL80, p. 36|
|Culp, A.J.||Logan||Aft. 1848||ATL80, p. 37|
|Culp, C.||Logan||Aft. 1848||ATL80, p. 37|
|Culp, J.||Logan||Aft. 1848||ATL80, p. 37|
|Daniel, George||ATL80, p. 37||Justice of the Peace|
|Daniel, John||Logan||Aft. 1848||ATL80, p. 37|
|Daniels, Henry||Columbiana & Carroll Co., OH||Logan||ATL80, p. 37||b. 04 Apr 1820, teacher 1838-1878, md. Margaret J. Long 09 Jul 1844|
|Dennison, William||Logan||ATL80, p. 37||1st Twp. Trustee|
|Dingledine, John||Logan||Aft. 1848||ATL80, p. 37|
|Dixon, S.M.||Logan||Aft. 1848||ATL80, p. 37|
|Edman, N.C.||Logan||Aft. 1848||ATL80, p. 37|
|Finley, "Father" J. B.||Logan||ATL80, p. 37||Circuit Rider|
|Gochenour, J.H.||Logan||Aft. 1848||ATL80, p. 37|
|Gochenour, John H.||Shenandoah Co., VA, Champaign Co., OH||Logan||Aft. 1848||ATL80, p. 37||b. 1835, md. Sarah C. Weaver in 1858 in Champaign Co., 4 ch: Alverata A., Gennetta A.; dec. Cora A. & Laura E.|
|Gregory, Daniel||Logan||Bef. 1848||ATL80, p. 36|
|Hire, Martin||Logan||Bef. 1848||ATL80, p. 36||Wife & 9 ch.|
|Lathrop, George D.||Logan||ATL80, p. 37||Justice of the Peace|
|Neese, Shem||Logan||ATL80, p. 37||Justice of the Peace|
|Pernell, Charles||Logan||Bef. 1848||ATL80, p. 36|
|Place, Leonard||Logan||Bef. 1848||ATL80, p. 36||1st Twp. Trustee|
|Richardson||Logan||Aft. 1848||ATL80, p. 37|
|Richardson, Daniel Landon||Delaware Co.||Logan Twp.||by 1850||1850 Census; A. Cloud||Md. Agnes Flowers; dau. Victoria md. Levi C. Baker|
|Russel, Andrew||Logan||1817 /1823||AUH pg. 402;
ATL80, p. 36
|Early Settler , wife, 4 dau., 1 son|
|Springer, E. B.||Logan||ATL80, p. 37||Justice of the Peace|
|Sunderland, Dye||Logan||15 Feb 1821||Plaque on Amanda Rd.;
AUH, pg. 402
|1st Settler; Son of Peter who fought at Battle of Bunker Hill|
|Taylor, William||Logan||Bef. 1848||ATL80, p. 36||Served in War of 1812, d. at Spencerville, aged 109|
|Terwilliger, Isaac||Logan||Bef. 1848||ATL80, p. 36||2 Sons & 1 Dau.|
|Vance, W. B.||Logan||ATL80, p. 37||1st Twp. Clerk|
|Washburn, Samuel||Logan||ATL80, p. 37||1st Postmaster|
|Wheeler||Logan||Aft. 1848||ATL80, p. 37|
|Whetstone, Abraham||Logan||Bef. 1848||ATL80, p. 36||1st Twp. Treasurer|
|Whetstone, Elder Simon, Sr.||Logan||Bef. 1848||ATL80, p. 36||d. 12 Feb 1880, md. Francis Richardson, Minister, sons Jesse & Henry|