History of Auglaize County
At the erection of this county, Wayne township, of Mercer County, came within our territorial limits, and as there was already a Wayne township in the east part of the county, the one acquired of Mercer changed its name to that of Noble in honor of Elisha Noble, one of the ablest and most influential settlers. It borders on the Black Swamp region and Mercer County on the west, and has a level surface and fertile soil. The latter is for the most part a black loam, broken by alluvium along the river, and light croppings of sand in different localities. It is crossed by the St. Marys River, which enters about midway on the south line, pursues a serpentine course through the township, and finally crosses the north line about a half mile from the northeast corner. The canal follows the general course of the river from south to north, and both form boundary lines of great irregularity. The timber is of the indigenous varieties of the county which are elsewhere treated. The township is well supplied with roads, but owing to the low nature of the surface they cannot be kept in a passable condition. At this writing gravel roads are in contemplation, which, if completed, will add greatly to the development of the township. This flat feature has also necessitated a large amount of artificial drainage, which is receiving due attention. By proper drainage the section may be rendered remarkably productive. Like in other parts of the county, schools and churches exist in sufficient numbers. Development, which is yet in its infancy, will rank this township among the wealthiest of the county.
There are no villages within the limits, but the south line extends almost to the corporation line of St. Marys.
From "History of Auglaize County, Ohio, with the Indian History of Wapakoneta, and the First Settlement of the County", Robert Sutton, Publishers, Wapakoneta, 1880