History of Auglaize County
This township is situated in the geographical centre of the county, and is the only one not bounded by county lines. It was organized in 1834 as part of Allen County, being at that time a full township. When Auglaize County was formed in 1848 nine sections were struck off the north part of Moulton township, and became a part of the new township of Logan, thus leaving the present township six miles east and west, and four and one-half miles north and south, and containing twenty-seven square miles.
There had been some improvement made by the Indians along the Auglaize River, the east half of the township being part of the Shawnee Reservation. The first white settlements date from 1832 and 1833, and among these settlers we find Jos. Haskill, Jos Bonson, William Julian, father of George Julian, now the oldest settler in the township, Daniel Cutler, Benjamin Nagle, William Crowder (Col.), John Waite, Thos. Williams, John C. Freyman, Christopher Baily, Abner Daniels, and Thomas Jones. From 1837 to 1840 were Cornelius Christy, Henry McConnell, Samuel Walker, John McFarland, and John C. Bothe. The early settlers experienced the usual privations of pioneer life, because of the difficulty of obtaining supplies. After a little time provisions became plentiful, but dry goods and groceries were largely beyond reach on account of high prices. Homespun was the common wearing apparel, and a blushing girl in her teens would make butter at five cents per pound and gather eggs at three cents per dozen to buy a calico dress at twenty-five cents per yard; and then this dress of calico was more highly prized than would be a fine silk by our fashionable belles of to-day. Farmers would go to Piqua or Sidney to mill or to market a few bushels of wheat, and bring back family supplies.
Soil.—The soil of Moulton is largely a strong clay with considerable burr oak flats of rich black loam, and some fine alluvial loam along the creeks and river. It is productive, and generally in a good state of cultivation, being rapidly irrigated and otherwise improved. The surface is gently rolling, without any waste lands, which render its drainage less difficult than other townships of the county.
Timber.—The principal varieties are white and burr oak, birch, sugar, hickory, elm, ash, and walnut.
Streams.—The Auglaize River flows through the township, entering near the southeast part, and flowing to the northwest. Pusheta Creek empties into the Auglaize in the southeast corner, and the Six Mile Creek flows through the west side of the township. The soil along all these streams is fertile, while the surface is rolling, and here may be found some well improved and excellent farms. The Morse Iron Bridge over the Auglaize is a very fine structure on the River Road, and reflects credit upon William Craft & Co., commissioners, who superintended its erection.
Roads.—Considerable interest has been taken in the grading and general improvement of the roads, but as yet no pikes have been constructed. The St. Marys and Wapakoneta Plank Road crosses the south side of the township.
Railroads.—The Lake Erie and Western Road passes a distance of about five miles in the northwest part of the township, and offers a good market to points along its line.
Schools.—There are eight school districts in the township all furnished with good buildings, and the schools are in a prosperous condition.
Churches.—There are five churches: The Catholic church near Glynwood; Methodist and German Lutheran at Moulton; Christian at Oak Grove; and United Brethren on the Auglaize. The different denominations preserve harmonious relations, and are free from sectarian strife.
Villages.—Moulton, on the St. Marys and Wapakoneta Plank Road, is midway between those points, and has a good local trade. It contains a drygoods and grocery store, post-office, wagon and blacksmith shops, one hotel, one school, one sawmill, cooper and shoe shop, and two churches.
Glynwood, on the Lake Erie and Western Railroad, is a station lately established, and has a good side track for shipping purposes. It contains a post-office, store, church, shoe and blacksmith shops, saw-mill, and factory, and offers a good shipping point for the new railroad.
Nationality.—About one-half of the population is American, the other half equally divided between Irish and German.
From "History of Auglaize County, Ohio, with the Indian History of Wapakoneta, and the First Settlement of the County", Robert Sutton, Publishers, Wapakoneta, 1880