Auglaize County, Ohio

History and Genealogy



History of Auglaize County


Logan Township—Organization.


Prior to the organization of this county the territory now comprised in Logan township formed a part of Amanda and Moulton townships, Allen County. At the time of organization three tiers of sections were taken from the south side of Amanda, and one and a half tier from the north side of Moulton township, which sections were erected into the present township. It is thus four and a half miles north and south and six miles east and west, and contains twenty-seven square miles. It embraces what is still known as the "Logan Section," which was a grant of 640 acres by the government to the Indian Captain Logan, for his fidelity and brilliant services to the American cause. The organization of the township took place in 1848, and it was considered appropriate to name it in honor of the same noble Indian, Captain Logan. (See sketch of Logan elsewhere in this volume.)

Again, this territory is associated with the great past of the Northwest, as it was on the route of many branches of the army during the war of 1812. In 1813 Fort Amanda was built on the Auglaize nearly opposite the Ottowa towns on the present Lathrop farm, by Col. Pogue, by the orders of General Harrison. It became something of a storehouse, being within the range of the base of supplies during the preparations preceding the concentration against Canada. It was named by the regiment Fort Amanda in honor of the wife of Colonel Pogue. (See General History.)



From "History of Auglaize County, Ohio, with the Indian History of Wapakoneta, and the First Settlement of the County", Robert Sutton, Publishers, Wapakoneta, 1880