History of Auglaize County
Minster, like Bremen, was founded by a stock association. On Sept. 1, 1833, a company formed for the purpose of purchasing a section of land in Mercer County, Ohio. The object of this purchase was to lay out and found a town, under certain specified conditions. The conditions bound the company to furnish sufficient money, as a joint fund, to enter the land and lay out the town. The funds so provided were to be entrusted to Francis Joseph Stallo, of Mercer County, Ohio, who was authorized to enter the land in his own name. He was further to have this land platted and divided into one hundred and forty-four shares, and fix a day for a meeting of the company at Cincinnati, where the price per share and expenses were to he determined. The selection of shares was then to be made by the members by lot, the drawer of each share to pay a ratable proportion to said Stallo. After the numbers were drawn, Stallo was to make and execute a deed in favor of each purchaser. Under these conditions, Stallo entered the following lands at the Piqualand office, Miami Co., Ohio, Sept. 8, 1832, viz., the northeast quarter of sec. 34; the northwest quarter of sec. 35; the southeast quarter of sec. 27, and the southwest quarter of sec. 26—in township 7 south, range 4 east, situate in Mercer Co., Ohio.
Soon after the purchase, Stallo caused said land to be laid off, platted, and divided into 144 shares or lots, and each share subdivided into ten parts or lots, and estimated and calculated the price of each share at $8.50. On April 14, 1833, the company met at Cincinnati, Ohio, and proceeded to draw lots, in accordance with these conditions, and with the following resuits: Francis Joseph Stallo, lot 37; John Gerhard Beckman, lot 133; F L. Bupe, lot 90; J. Wejohm, lot 58; F. B. Feldman, lot 71; J. H. Pelster, lot 139; J. Harmsen, lot 43; J. H. Gehoens, lot 69; G. H. Theis, lot 141; J. H. Wamke, lot 41; J. A. Thalking, lot 75; F. Herkman, lot 62; F. H. Wessjohan, lot 96; J. H. Fouke, lot 138; G. Nieman, lot 44; J. Lieke, lot 124; F. H. Wessjohan, lot 100; Clemens Senner, lot 132; C. Leumann, lot 49; J. H. Feldman, lot 137; F. Buschman, lot 80; John D. Uddhorn, lot 144; J. B. Meyer, lot 27; J. H. Wilkins, lot 106; —— Schulte, lot 2; F. H. Bupe, lot 52; A. Theising, lot 7; F. H. Bupe, lot 28; J. Heitman, lot 42; H. H. Quatman, lot 59; H. C. Frilling, lot 11; B. H. Busse, lot 47; B. Lehmann, lot 31; J. Brands, lot 94; J. F. Siggin, lot 85; Johannes Schap, lot 98; J. Surman, lot 130; J. H. Steinman, lot 5; U. Meyer, lot 53; J. H. Bosche, lot 51; F. H. Feldman, lot 1 16; J. H. Summer, lot 9; F. Jargens, lot 25; —— Codesman, lot 76; J. H. Gerken, lot 131; J. H. Stuve, lot 20; Herman Bosche, lot 13: J. H. Albers, lot 82; F. Meiire, lot 57; H. Meyer, lot 97; John Zimmer, lot 119; H. H. Mohlmann, lot 140; B. Rottinghouse, lot 108; J. B. Koeper, lot 50; Herman Beckman, lot 23; F. H. Lehman, lot 125; F. Fortman, lot 8; Anton Martin, lot 12; F. J. Stallo, lot 32; J. B. Ortman, lot 14; J. B. Frederick, lot 134; J. H. Surman, lot 77; F. B. Langeman, lot 127; J. H. Bosche, lots 98, 35, 72; B. A. Kuper, lot 81; B. Weisel, lot 120; F. Rhoenkamp, lots 40, 93, 87; J. H. Burger, lot 3; M. G. Kingman, lot 109; M. E. Gausepohl, lot 73; B. Kramer, lot 84; T. J. Hehmann, lot 114; G. H. Louke, lot 17; H. H Buke, lot 34; John Schroeder, lot 103; H. Woebkenberg, lot 65; J. H. Suermann, lot 11; F. H. Frilling, lot 95; F. Rhoenkohle, lot 54; H. Mohlmann, lots 20, 33; Peter Gratish, lot 56; F. Fortraan, lots 15, 18, 129; Anton Haverbeck, lot 22; F. J. Stallo, lot 104; J. H. Senner, lot 99; H. Waebenberg, lot 1; Peter Thiel, lot 142; J. G. Tawben, lot 118; F. A. Stable, lot 105; J. R. Borgsted, lot 143; Christian Teller, lot 121; N. E. Gausepohl, lot 21; J. W. Roof, lots 90, 135, 136, 64; B. Manker lot 60; F. L. Rombach, lot 123; C. L. Neiter, lot 101; Henry Evers, lot 4; Daniel Hauben, lot 63; Frederick Baumgartner, lot 19; Sylvester Uchlert, lot 38; J. E. Stallo, lots 117, 24, 126, 39, 66, 74, 70, and 61; H. Bolke, lot 86; B. H. Burgading, lot 102; John Schrader, lot 10; John Ziminer, lots 26, 29, 89; G. Frilling, lot 83; Anton Kramer, lot 107; John Louke, lot 110; H. Heckman, lot 36; J. H. Borger, lot 67; H. Snider, lot 113; Gertrude Stuve, lot 88; J. C. Storks, lot 45; Henry Zumbrinck, lot 128; G. G. Beyer, lot 46; F. J. Stallo, lot 115; C. L. Neumelster, lot 79; Simon Elliott, lot 112; Geo. H. Boehmer, lot 122; J. C. Albers, lot 68; J. H. Mescher, lot 8; Geo. C. Smith, lot 55; J. F. Stallo, lot 92; T. J. Stallo, lot 16; John Sewerman, lot 48.
In the summer of 1833, F. J. Stallo died intestate, without having executed deeds to the several purchasers, as required. For the purpose of securing title to purchasers, a bill in chancery was filed at the Common Pleas Court of Mercer County, then sitting at St. Marys, entitled—
John Zimmer, B. J. Feldman, Jno. H. Pelster, Jos. Surman et al.
Jno. M. Stallo, Lewis Stallo, Mary Ann Stallo, Theodore Stallo, and Theresa Stallo.
The complainants asked relief in equity, and prayed an order of the court granting to them their respective purchases in Stallostown as per conditions under which J. F. Stallo represented the stock company.
The defendants, the legal heirs of said Stallo being infants, appeared by their guardian ad litem, John W. Roof. The cause was heard March 3, 1836, when it was ordered by the court that the defendants as they became of age should severally convey to said owners or original purchasers their respective lots or shares, and in their failure to do so within six months after attaining their majority, this decree was to operate as a conveyance.
Stallostown was originally described as follows: Consisting of a section of land, it was divided by seven (7) streets from north to south, and eleven (11) from east to west. These being the principal streets were sixty (60) feet wide, and all others to be fifty (50) feet. In the centre, on both sides of streets adjoining the principal streets, were four (4) public places, the streets fifty (50) feet wide, and these public places sixty (60) feet wide and two hundred and seven (207) feet long. Between streets running east and west are twelve (12) numbers, these to be divided into five (5) lots, and through each lot a street extends north and south, so that each number contains five (5) lots in a direct line to the main street. Between all these lots are alleys sixteen (16) feet wide; all streets and alleys to be opened whenever the public convenience shall require. The lots are numbered from south to north and north to south on Main Street, beginning with 1 at south end of Main Street on west side and numbered consecutively to 72 at north end of same street; then commencing at 73 on east side of same street number consecutively to south end of said street to 144, each number having a front of 68⅓ feet and a depth extending to next street.
The town was thus founded by Germans, and still preserves this nationality. After its foundation it assumed considerable business importance, but other settlements and towns robbed it of some of its business at a later date. The canal passed through at an early day, and gave shipping facilities until the completion of the Minster Branch of the L. E. & W. R. R. connecting with the main line at St. Marys increased these facilities. It is yet a town of considerable enterprise, having some important industries well represented. The Roman Catholic religion prevails exclusively, and the sect has one of the finest churches in the State. The school in connection is also supplied with a good building. These are elsewhere treated. Among the business enterprises of interest we may mention the hardware establishment of John Laufersweiler, the large boot and shoe house of Laufersweiler and Bornhorst, the extensive hydraulic mill of Sprehe and Depweg, the pork packing establishment and brickyard of Steineman Bros., the tannery of Frank Piening, the agricultural implement establishment of Goeke and Kaiser, and the grocery and drug house of Mrs. E. Schneider and Son.
One of the largest and most complete breweries in this part of the State was erected here in 1870, by Frank Lang, at a cost of $40,000; while the improvements of the present year will reach about $15,000 more. Mr. Lang is one of the early settlers of the county, having come here in 1838.
Doctor John P. Schmieder, the well-known and deservedly popular physician of Minster, was born in Rust, Granduchy of Baden, Germany, June 26, 1820, and entered upon the study of medicine, when but eleven years of age, at Freyburg University; he graduated and emigrated to America in 1846, and settled in Minster. He is justice of the peace, mayor, and notary public. He ranks among the first in his profession, and retains the confidence of the whole community. He is also a large land-owner, and is proprietor of two hotels in the town.
From "History of Auglaize County, Ohio, with the Indian History of Wapakoneta, and the First Settlement of the County", Robert Sutton, Publishers, Wapakoneta, 1880