History of Auglaize County
As foreshadowed above, the territory now comprised in German, Jackson, Washington, and Pusheta townships was settled principally by Germans, while Wapakoneta and St. Marys contain a significant per cent, of the same nationality, but now largely by descent. Moulton township contains an Irish settlement, while the same nationality is represented to greater or less extent in other sections. The other portions of the county were settled chiefly by immigrants from Pennsylvania, Virginia, and New England, and are still occupied by their descendants. The settlers were all industrious laborers in the improvement of the lands by clearing and drainage, until many waste tracts have been reclaimed and rendered tillable. Drainage, with its miles of buried tile, has contributed largely to the material development of the community, as the flat surfaces of certain localities of a few years since bear testimony by the productive fields into which they have grown, and the golden harvests which they yield.
From "History of Auglaize County, Ohio, with the Indian History of Wapakoneta, and the First Settlement of the County", Robert Sutton, Publishers, Wapakoneta, 1880