History of Auglaize County
This township was organized in 1836 from Wayne township, and is in the southeast part of the county. In this township heads two of the important rivers of the State, the Miami and Scioto. About one-fourth of the township is prairie or black muck, and it is only a few years since it was covered with water, and only good for duck shooting. The Muchanippe Creek, the head of the Miami, was deepened, and drains much of this land which was considered worthless; it is now as good as any in the county, and the balance of the township is a gravel clay loam, excellent for wheat and corn. There is one gravel road passing through this township from Roundhead to Wapakoneta. The following names are some of the early settlers of this township: Bazil Day, John C. Hurley, Joseph Cline, William Black, Daniel Black, R. L. G. Means, John McLean, Alanson Earl.
The village of New Hampshire, situated in this township, was laid out by John Kindle in 1836, and was given its name by Mrs. Kindle. The town plat covers sixteen acres of ground. The first store was started by Hiram North; Orin North built the first steam mill; this was followed by J. J. Hutchinson with a store. The village now has two hotels, two stores, two blacksmith shops, one grocery store, and grist and saw-mill, and one physician (S. J. Pollock), one M. E. Church, and one Baptist Church.
From "History of Auglaize County, Ohio, with the Indian History of Wapakoneta, and the First Settlement of the County", Robert Sutton, Publishers, Wapakoneta, 1880