History of Auglaize County
Cridersville was organized in 1856 by Ephraim Crider. The first store was owned by John Mumaw about the date of organization. The second place of business was a General Supply Store, kept by James McMillin. Then came in succession John Weiser and N. A. Murdock, drygoods merchants.
At this writing there are two drygoods and general supply stores, two groceries, and one furniture store, one hotel, one steam grist mill, one steam saw mill, one grain warehouse, two blacksmith shops, one harness, and one shoe shop. Prior to the last eight years the number of stores at once was limited to a single one.
From "History of Auglaize County, Ohio, with the Indian History of Wapakoneta, and the First Settlement of the County", Robert Sutton, Publishers, Wapakoneta, 1880