History of Auglaize County
This county was erected in 1848 from portions of Allen, Logan, Shelby, Darke, Mercer, and Van Wert Counties. Its geographical position is in the Black Swamp district of the "Northwest," and occupies the great dividing ridge which forms the separation of drainage between the northern lakes and southern rivers. The county contains four hundred and four square miles, comprised in fourteen townships, as follows: Wayne, Moulton, and Logan twenty-seven; Union and St. Marys thirty-six; Goshen and German eighteen; Pusheta, Noble, Washington, and Clay thirty; Jackson twenty; Duchouquet forty-two; and Salem twenty-four square miles.
From "History of Auglaize County, Ohio, with the Indian History of Wapakoneta, and the First Settlement of the County", Robert Sutton, Publishers, Wapakoneta, 1880